Wednesday 6 October 2010

Whistling in The Dark

I was intrigued to read a newspaper report earlier today which was predicting an Indian Summer for the next few days. Strangely, I was reading it whilst looking out of my window at the most almighty rainfall, followed by hailstones the size of marbles!

It took my mind back to 1987 and the rather unfortunate Michael Fish, then a respected BBC weather reporter. Prior to the worst storm to hit Britain since 1703, he had dismissed a warning from a caller to the BBC. Sadly, trees and buildings were ravaged later that evening and at least 13 people were known to have died as a result.

Listening to David Cameron's predictions about cuts being so good for us made me wonder if politicians and weather forecasters are trained by the same people. He said today that the cuts would deliver growth, investment, jobs and put money in people's pockets. Politicians, like weather forecasters, love their predictions. But I get the impression it's all a case of whistling in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment