Friday 29 October 2010

Autumn Colours

Some years ago I was listening to Gardener's Question time on Radio 4 and one of the experts recommended a Virginia Creeper to an enquirer with a bare-looking brick wall in her garden. He enthused about the colours at autumn time, brightening up everything like a flame. Immediately I thought, I must have one for the garage wall which had always looked so desolate on one side of our landscaped garden, no matter how many plants and flowers were in front of it.

Now is the time of year to enjoy the purchase of my Virginia Creeper (or Quinquefolia to give it the technical name) to the full. As I look out of the kitchen window I can delight in the flame-like beauty and reflect on money well spent! In just over four years it has now covered that barren garage wall.

That does remind me though: I have been rather neglecting the garden recently. I need to get things tidied up out there before it's too late and winter comes with a vengeance. If it's anything like last year, winter will be a testing time again. I suppose I'd better enjoy the autumn colours while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment