Thursday 11 November 2010

Armistice Day

I've said before on this Blog that I could never enter armed combat. I would never want to fight in a war or under any other circumstances, but that doesn't stop me from being grateful for those who literally laid down their lives in order to ensure that our country could enjoy the freedom we enjoy today. I'm thankful too that my dad, now aged 98 and in remarkably good health, safely returned from a horrendous campaign in Burma.

On this date every year, November 11th, we remember the armistice signed between the allies of the First World War. Hostilities ceased at that auspicious moment at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. Nowadays, what was Armistice Day is also known as Remembrance Day and it is a commemoration of both World Wars.

Today at the appointed hour I, like many of you, paused my routine to observe two minutes silence in respect for all those who died or lost loved ones in these horrific campaigns. For those of us who have never experienced war first-hand, it's not easy to appreciate what it means to those who did. But I'm sure it's important for us to try.

I've heard some of the sordid details from my dad. And my mum has spoken movingly about the hardships endured at home during the war years, as Liverpool was heavily bombed by the Germans. No one would ever want to experience the like of this again. So, although our country is relatively peaceful and prosperous in 2010, it's a timely reminder of those who have to endure war, poverty and hardship around the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment